Good Bye Shaun... Good Bye

I tend to express myself better in english so...

With much much pain, i have to announce:

For those of you who wasn't around/didn't know,

Shaun left us to the other world on 18th December 2006,
5PM at Queen Mary's Hospital in HK.

I was really glad i made it on time to the hospital, going to Shaun straight after i got off e plane.

Shaun went away peacefully with all his relatives and close frens beside him. I'm sure anyone would have cried too if they were here with us. The emotion just exploded and spread through everybody when shaun's granny hugged him n started sobbing and crying. Followed by his other relatives, including his mom, dad, uncles n their wifes, etc. Everyone was saying our last words to Shaun...

We were with Shaun for quite a while before everybody was to exit the room and wait outside for a while. It was lunch time, when the nurses were changing shifts and doctors have to look at Shaun some more.

Shaun's family have made a painful, yet humane decision to let Shaun go peacefully with all of us beside him, after consulting the doctors. They said Shaun wouldn't last another day, and would probably pass away, all by himself in e middle of the night. So they decided to remove the life support machines.

When we returned, they've already taken away the drugs, liquid food, etc around 3PM. Just the breathing support machine is still attached. The machine pumped steadily as Shaun is unable to breath by himself anymore. Shaun's mom also got him changed in to his comfy pajamas before we were let in again. Everyone stood around his bed while his grandparents sat next to him, including his family, pri sch SIS frens (Me, Dom and my sis, although she wasn't from SIS.), Sec sch frens, Auzzie frens tat flew in to see him just like me, and his other close frens too. We prepared to spend our last time with him.

His dad brought his japanese buddhism frens along n they kept chanting and praying for shaun all the way through. The tough guy still kept going strong even when the nurse came in and stopped giving him 100% oxygen and let him breath normal air like e rest of us.

Until the final moment, everyone talked to him, telling him not to be scared. We'll always be with him, and he'll always be remembered and missed. This lasted for about an hour plus while we watched his stats slowly drop to zero. Everyone was crying. We held on to Shaun for the last time. Calling his name repeatedly, hoping he'll gain a little consciousness to at least open his eyes and look at us.

He seemed to have a little bit of reaction near the end, when the machines already showed zero or very very little activity. when we all talked to him at the same time, his head jerked a bit and his arm was moving some. But it could also be because of the lack of oxygen and his body is reacting, trying to get air. Anyway, he went away peacefully and lived a meaningful life, having many many great frens, his cats and loving relatives.

Shaun would be a great man if not for his illness. I'm sure of that. I told him we could be brothers the next life, and he'll be respected and missed when we're around.

The only bit of disappointment was that he din manage to wake up after all, even for a while in the end. We could have helped him finish his wishes. But i think he knows. He'll know.

Hai...this is the saddest day of my life so far, seeing a close fren come to the end of his life, with him passing away right before me. It's so painful to see Shaun go.

Although these few yrs we were physically miles apart after he went to study in Auzzie and resided in HK, and i was holed up in Siangapore and all, we were buddies again whenever i visits him in HK every yr. The last time i saw him at his home in October, we were still playing video games together, just like old times when we were kids and i often visited his home in kennedy town to play magic cards and talk about games all e time. And Dom too, although he seldom joined us, he has always lived in Kennedy town. That's why i used to travel across the island just to meet up with them. This went on even after we graduated and went to different sec sch.

We used to call ourselves ASD, Astor Shaun Dom, like the keys on the keyboard, we'll always be best frens. It follows that i'm the oldest, then shaun, then dom. We're much like the famous 3 sworn-brothers in romance of the 3 kingdoms, 刘备,关羽,张飞. Since young, the 2 of them were very tall and big and i'm quite tiny. I wonder why the 3 of us could come together and stayed as frens for 15 over years, but we just were. While others would have lost contact long ago. Maybe becos our primary sch classes were so small compared to the others, we had only about 20 ppl in one class back then. So the whole class was close and bonded well. It was a pity the others are tied down by their jobs or studies and couldn't come see him.

He was also showing me his favourite video game the Nintendo Wii, that he would buy the moment it ships to HK. We were sharing some nintendo DS games he kept in his computer. Shaun's mom made lunch, and gave me a share. Shaun's mom cooks well.

All that, is gone now. Locked in my memory forever. I'll always cherish these sweet memories. It's weird how we'll only think of these things only when the person is not here with us anymore.

I had dinner with my family and frens after i left the hospital, since there was nothing left for us to do and everybody left. Shaun's family stayed to settle documents and stuff.

I have to thank Sarah, a lot, since she helped me secure a ticket back to sg so that i can catch up on my work, this time being the holiday season and all the tickets are fully booked all the way thru christmas and new year. Thank You Sarah angel.

I'll end this sad post here. I'm sobbing again.

Shaun, dun worry about us, we'll live a happy and meaningful life just like you did. You'll seriously be missed by all of us! Bye Bye!~~~

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Astor,

Adam here. I heard from Ben about Shaun's passing. I remember him as quite a jovial guy and he taught me quite a few cantonese phrases when I first arrived in Hong Kong. He was a good guy.

I'll miss him.

Adam
BlacktheSheep said…
yeah,never before have i heard him complain about his illness, or ask why is it him, and not somebody else, tat kinda question. He's always logical, and have a lot of sense. Thank You Adamo.
Unknown said…
Hi Astor,
Heard that you got back from Sgp...I went to visit Shaun the day before he left us...He's always been so strong all these time...
Do call me if there's anything I can help, my number is 98022412. My only regret was that I wasn't able to see him one last time before he left us...

I Shyan

Popular Posts